Monday, July 28, 2014

Not knowing the solution.....

Just read an article I saw posted on FB This is my thoughts in regards to that powerful article.
Well, I don't know the answers.
Marc and I have been involved w/ DHHS on both side.  Marc growing up in the system and us fostering/adopting ourselves.  I wish I knew the solution.  It needs major revamping.  Getting involved with Greater Bangor Hub - Safe Families for Children feels like a way to help some of these families stay together that truly just need the support and love- and not to always demonize families that are struggling.  At the same time, I'm the mom of an adoptive son.  He NEEDED to be removed.  Zach was born with 5 narcotics un-prescribed in his "mother's" system, that's on top of the prescribed methodone. Nevermind the marijuana and nicotine in her system.  And while Fetal Alcohol was never established, let's face it- she's wasn't losin' sleep over takin' a drink.  So, yeah, sometimes I'm on my knees thankful for DHHS involvement saving his life- on more then one occasion I've literally caught myself crying of what his life would be, had he slipped through the cracks; and frankly, I don't think he'd have one. I feel quite certain, Zach's little life would've tragically shown up in the obituary.  I've heard my son scream cries an infant shouldn't cry. I've held the small body of a baby withdrawing as it tremored and couldn't hold down his meal.  I've sat in the NICU for hours, days and over a month..haunted by the echo of others babies wails that sounded so much like my little boy's cry.  My son needed someone to care, someone to rescue him. DHHS did.  I worked with wonderful people, I saw their hearts and their desire to make the situation right.  I've had the love and support of those caseworkers and biological family- all working to do what was best for Zachary.
And yet...
I have one vivid memory when I was doing admin work (eons ago) at a Mental Health facility downtown Bangor.  There had been a poor mom coming in with her two kids for quite some time, she was trying! Maybe it wouldn't be your definition of trying or best, but for her, it was everything she had in her. Her financial situation was challenging and frankly, she did struggle mentally as well (I don't recall any problems with substance abuse). But she loved her kids and she tried.  She was involved with the programs at the facility and worked closely with case management and counselors.  I remember the caseworker involved coming up to me heartbroken that DHHS was coming to our work to remove the kids and mom was on her way.  I can say this is NOT what the folks I worked with wanted at all, they very much tried to get DHHS not to make this decision and tried to put in place a plan for this family to stay together.  I can't say I was privy to all the details, but I remember that poor meek mom coming in, devastated.  And I have this memory of the coldness of the DHHS worker..I'll never forget it.  She sat there with her colleague in the lobby while the kids were getting gathered, discussing "going out later that night" and her plans for the evening, as mom sat there sobbing.  She looked over at mom once and told her she should pull herself together and not make a scene because that will just make it worst on her kids.  I was young at the time and I remember just walking away from my desk.  I was floored and dismayed at what I seeing and its stuck with me all these years later.
And stories only Marc has shared with me, his up and down roller coaster story.  I've looked at some DHHS case in disgust and then on the other side, I've hugged the worker and saw how hard she loved and tried.  I've worked with a mom and saw the love and struggles and see the need at times for family and other times for the need to find a different solution for the child.

NO, this is not easy stuff. It wasn't easy then, now or even in the future to get involved.  But not "not getting involved" seems impossible.  It's too needed.  There are families that simply need help and tearing them apart will do nothing to save that child.  There is a child right now out there needing someone to tear them from their hell.  There is a small baby laying in a NICU right now, screaming and I can attest, there is no parent there to hold him through it despite their being the reason that child is suffering.  And there are too many parents out there now, terrified to lose their children because the real power the State has.

I didn't respond with solutions (helpful, I know).  I just responded with thoughts, I just don't know.  And all I can think of is this boy's face and how he is worth everything!

2 comments:

  1. That was an amazing response and so well written! I too tear up thinking about "what might have been" with kids in my house. He is one lucky boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing that article! It really just hit home!

    ReplyDelete